Glow in the Dark Jack-o-Lantern Halloween Party Favors
Ooey, gooey gross slime, brains and worms go hand-in-hand with Halloween. If you are a room mom or parent planning any type of Halloween party this October, we have the best Halloween party favor for your guests.
The best part of this party favor? It isn’t more candy.
Kids love tactile materials – things that squish between their fingers and make all kinds of sounds. After a smashing Halloween party, send the kids home with Jack-o-Lantern slime.
We used our Atomic Slime Kit but you can also make your own slime with this simple slime recipe -
- Elmers Glue (8 oz bottle of Elmers Glue-All or Glue Gel)
- Borax (a powdered soap found in the grocery store)
- Atomic Glow (to make the slime glow)
- Large mixing bowl
- Plastic cup (8 oz size works well)
- Measuring cup
- Food coloring (Neon colors work awesome!)
- Paper towel (hey, youve got to clean up!)
- This recipe is based on using a brand new 8 ounce bottle of Elmer’s Glue. Empty the entire bottle of glue into a mixing bowl. Fill the empty bottle with warm water and shake (okay, put the lid on first and then shake). Pour the glue-water mixture into the mixing bowl and use the spoon to mix well.
- Go ahead… add a drop or two of food coloring or several drops of Atomic Glow to color or make it glow.
- Measure 1/2 cup of warm water into the plastic cup and add a teaspoon of Borax powder to the water. Stir the solution – don’t worry if all of the powder dissolves. This Borax solution is the secret linking agent that causes the Elmer’s Glue molecules to turn into slime.
- While stirring the glue in the mixing bowl, slowly add a little of the Borax solution. Immediately you’ll feel the long strands of molecules starting to connect. It’s time to abandon the spoon and use your hands to do the serious mixing. Keep adding the Borax solution to the glue mixture (don’t stop mixing) until you get a perfect batch of Elmer’s slime.
Assembling the Party Favors
- Elmer’s Glue Slime or Atomic Slime Kit
- Small Solo cups with lids or Shaker Slime cups
- Sharpie pen
- Black light (to make the slime glow)
Draw a jack-o-lantern face on each cup and let dry. Spoon a glop of slime into each cup. Seal with the lid and set aside for sharing.
Huge thanks to Allison at Learn – Play – Imagine for the original idea!